Stewardship Fund

Stewardship Fund

The Siuslaw Stewardship Watershed Restoration Program (SSWRP) fund offers landowners and managers a funding source to improve and restore fish and wildlife habitat on private and other non-federal lands where there is demonstrated benefit to national forest lands.

The Fund has been created from retained timber receipts generated through implementation of stewardship timber sale contracts on the Siuslaw National Forest (SNF).  Of these retained receipts 60% are used for projects on the SNF.  Through the Wyden Authority, the remaining 40% of the retained receipts are used for projects on nearby (private or non-federal) lands that benefit resources within watersheds of the SNF. 

CPRCD, the SNF, and the Stewardship Groups guide the utilization of the Fund. Project proposals are solicited and received by CPRCD, evaluated by a technical committee, prioritized by each stewardship group, and awarded to successful applicants by CPRCD annually.  Visit Documents and  download the application to determine if your project is eligible.


Who is Eligible for Stewardship Funds?

Private landowners and for-profit businesses can submit proposals through a local government or non-profit sponsor, such as a Soil and Water Conservation Districts or a Watershed Council. Eligible sponsors include: local, state, and federal government entities and non-profit corporations.

What Can the Fund be used for?

Successful projects must benefit the lands and resources on the SNF.  They must promote: sustainable use and enhancement of natural resources in the Siuslaw River Basin and the Alsea, Marys Peak, Hebo, Siuslaw and Smith-Umpqua River Stewardship Group areas; and natural resource management based on recent data and sound science.

What Kinds of Projects Get Funded?

Eligible projects include, but are not limited to:
--Riparian planting, fencing, protection and release;
--Aquatic structures, in-stream structures to improve aquatic habitat;
--Culvert repair or replacement for fish passage or sediment reduction;
--Wetland restoration, tidal and freshwater;
--Noxious weeds eradication or control;
--Road drainage, road decommissioning;
--Water quality improvements;
--Storm water drainage;
--Wildlife Habitat improvements, foraging/meadows improvement; and
--Non-commercial stand improvement, non-commercial riparian conversion.

What are the Restrictions?

The Fund is generally limited to on-the-ground projects. The following activities are not eligible for funding:
--Monitoring or evaluation;
--Analysis and Research;
--Surveys (except Cultural Resources);
--Trail creation (unless it benefits the resources of the National Forest);
--Indirect Administration;
--Technical design; and
-- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) Planning Facilities.

Where Can Projects Be Located?

Projects must be on private, state, county, city, tribal or federal land in the Siuslaw River basin and/or coastal lakes area, and the Alsea, Marys Peak, Hebo, Siuslaw and Smith-Umpqua River Stewardship Group areas.

How Much Match is Required?

A 25% match (landowner or partner share of costs) is recommended but not required. Matching funds may be either in-kind or cash. In-kind contributions from the Siuslaw National Forest are not eligible as match.

How Do I Apply?

Prior to project development, the sponsor must consult with their Stewardship Group to ensure the project meets the basic criteria.  Pre-Applications are required and due vary by year February 1-March 1.  Please refer to Fund Documents at that time of year for details and deadlines.

What is Stewardship Contracting?

Stewardship contracting is a set of tools that combines forest restoration and rural community benefit, which may include thinning and a variety of watershed enhancements. Commercial timber being removed from the forest lands pays for other restoration treatments on public and private land. In this way, the dollars can be applied where they will have the biggest impact.  Local contractors may bid stewardship work including, but not limited to the following practices:
--Thinning plantations up to 80 years old;
--Stabilizing or mothballing road;
--Treating invasive and noxious weed;
--Restoring in-stream fish habitat;
--Improving fish passage;
--Planting and protecting riparian areas for shade or erosion prevention;
--Tree-planting for understory habitat or diversity; and
--Creating snags for wildlife habitat.
For more information about Stewardship Contracting visit the SNF Website

Submission Process

Applications for funding are available annually December - January.  Pre-Applications are required and due February 1 - March 1. Please refer to Documents at that time of year for details and deadlines. Questions? Contact

eCommerce Website powered by MightyMerchant v4.82.7